lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Muir <rcm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: switch jars to ivy mechanism?
Date Tue, 27 Mar 2012 20:59:55 GMT
On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 4:50 PM, Steven A Rowe <sarowe@syr.edu> wrote:

> Agreed.  And also besides plus additionally, Lucene/Solr has way more Ant hackers than
Maven hackers.

Believe it or not (you probably won't!) I seriously considered maven
when looking at how to address the jar dependency issue. Everyone
knows about my personal opinion on it, but for this issue, I'm trying
to only look at the least-invasive/least-risk change that solves the
problem.

As much as I hate to say it, I initially thought maven was the only
good alternative, but I took a moment to look at the documentation on
the ivy site and it seems like a nice solution for our needs: i guess
i'm hoping we can have a tiny initial non-invasive prototype patch
that starts attacking the problem iteratively (yeah that means
initially we still have the crazy xerces situation in lib/ until we
figure out some solution for that, etc).

--
lucidimagination.com