lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Muir <rcm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: switch jars to ivy mechanism?
Date Tue, 27 Mar 2012 20:09:18 GMT
Maven doesnt support all of our build features (e.g. jflex generation,
and a number of other things). On the other hand our ant build is
stable and supports all of our current needs.

All of our tests dont even pass with maven (though I know steven works
really hard at trying to make them all work, but still:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/dev/nightly/hudson-lucene-solr-maven-trunk.sh).

So maven isn't really an option: it would be significantly more work.
On the other hand, ivy is something we can plug into our existing
working build system, its just another way of populating the
classpath.

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 4:03 PM, SUJIT PAL <sujit.pal@comcast.net> wrote:
> Just a suggestion... why not use mvn instead? Based on personal experience trying to
get ivy working with NutchGora and gora, I think it is much more intuitive to use mvn.

> -sujit
>
> On Mar 27, 2012, at 12:28 PM, Robert Muir wrote:
>
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> There is currently a thread about jars going on another list, this
>> isn't about that.
>>
>> But just reading over the thread and thinking about things, our svn
>> checkout is quite large because of checked in jars. I don't think this
>> is good for developers in Europe or Japan or elsewhere, because it
>> makes the checkout huge.
>>
>> On the other hand I look at the example ivy file from the tutorial
>> (http://ant.apache.org/ivy/history/latest-milestone/samples/build.xml)
>> and it looks pretty nice. I know there is an eclipse plugin that works
>> with this as well.
>>
>> I was thinking about experimenting with our build to remove these jars
>> (at least: as many as possible) and see how ivy worked, purely as an
>> optimization. It seems like maybe it really wouldnt be such a huge
>> change... maybe something that could be done in a day or something
>> like that.
>>
>> Does anyone have any opinions on this?
>>
>> --
>> lucidimagination.com