lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Muir <rcm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: GSOC 2012?
Date Fri, 02 Mar 2012 12:37:04 GMT
Thanks for helping to get this started Simon and Mark!

On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 7:10 AM, Simon Willnauer
<simon.willnauer@googlemail.com> wrote:
> I created an initial GSOC 2012 page here:
> http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/SummerOfCode2012
>
> simon

>> A framework for match metadata?
>>
>> Similar to the way tokenization was changed to allow tokenizers to to enrich a stream
of tokens with arbitrary "attributes", Scorers could provide "MatchAttributes" to provide
arbitrary metadata about the stream of matches they produce.
>> Same model is used - callers decide in advance which attribute decorations they want
to consume and Scorers modify a singleton object which can be cloned if multiple attributes
need to be retained by the caller.

>> Helps support highlighting, explain and enables communication of added information
between query objects in the tree.
>> LUCENE-1999 was an example of a horrible work-around where additional match information
that was required was smuggled through by bit-twiddling the score  - this is because score
is the only bit of match context we currently pass in Lucene APIs.

>> Cheers
>> Mark

lucidimagination.com