lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Dawid Weiss <dawid.we...@cs.put.poznan.pl>
Subject Re: [JENKINS] Lucene-Solr-tests-only-3.x - Build # 12905 - Failure
Date Thu, 29 Mar 2012 16:12:03 GMT
> Dawid's Rethrower class is sneaky :)  Doesn't require wrapping as
> RuntimeException ever...

It's not mine, it's from here as far as I remember --
http://www.javapuzzlers.com/. I did a similar thing once for 1.4 by
editing .class file so that a method wasn't declaring a checked
exception, but it's a different story.

> But either approach is better than always wrapping in RuntimeException.

I think for tests it's better to rethrow the original unless you need
and want to preserve the middle catchpoint. For production code I
agree wrapping is more intuitive because otherwise people don't see
where exactly the exception came from and this is confusing like hell
(because they see the impossible at Java language syntax level).

Dawid