lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Dawid Weiss <dawid.we...@cs.put.poznan.pl>
Subject Re: [JENKINS] Lucene-Solr-tests-only-3.x - Build # 12908 - Failure
Date Thu, 29 Mar 2012 19:20:46 GMT
bq. Exploits a weakness in the runtime to throw an arbitrary throwable
without the traditional declaration.

This is hardly a weakness; it's part of the JVM spec (or rather: the
distinction of checked/ unchecked is part of the Java specification
not the JVM specification).

> But it's in my opinion a generics bug in combination with suppresswarnings

It's an exploit of how generics are (under)specified. Many people
think checked exceptions are actually a stupid invention, I think it's
debatable, some of them are really annoying...

Dawid