lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com>
Subject Re: Exposing Solr routing to SolrJ client
Date Mon, 12 Mar 2012 21:46:14 GMT
On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 5:39 PM, Mark Miller <markrmiller@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mar 12, 2012, at 5:32 PM, Yonik Seeley wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 8:15 AM, Mark Miller <markrmiller@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Currently it doesn't send directly to the leader, but this is planned - it's
a little tricky due to lack of access to the Schema for hashing

>> Hmmm, why is this?  Identification of the "uniqueKey" field?  Maybe we
>> just assume "id", or let the user configure it if it's something
>> different.  That should really be "best practice" along with sticking
>> to normal java identifiers for field names.
>
> Yeah, for id my plan was just let the user supply the field, perhaps default to id. The
other issue is that we hash on the indexed value though - which we get though a customizable
field type method impl last I recall. I think this tends to be the same as the raw text for
the types we care about. But we have to make some assumptions - it's not really arbitrary
support - though it should easily cover the current common types of numeric or string. I think
most impls end up using UnicodeUtil.UTF16toUTF8 and hopefully most toInternal methods simply
return what is passed in (ie use the base class impl)...

Non "string" (or compatible) ids are more trouble than they are
worth... and since cloud is new, I think it would be fine to say "use
a string id".

-Yonik
lucenerevolution.com - Lucene/Solr Open Source Search Conference.
Boston May 7-10