lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Willnauer <simon.willna...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: GSOC 2012?
Date Sat, 10 Mar 2012 19:46:59 GMT
Mark, can you open an issue for this and lable it as:

gsoc2012
lucene-gsoc-12
mentor

just like this one https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-2562

thanks,

simon

On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 12:26 PM, mark harwood <markharw00d@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>>>Does anyone have any ideas?
>
> A framework for match metadata?
>
> Similar to the way tokenization was changed to allow tokenizers to to enrich a stream
of tokens with arbitrary "attributes", Scorers could provide "MatchAttributes" to provide
arbitrary metadata about the stream of matches they produce.
> Same model is used - callers decide in advance which attribute decorations they want
to consume and Scorers modify a singleton object which can be cloned if multiple attributes
need to be retained by the caller.

> Helps support highlighting, explain and enables communication of added information between
query objects in the tree.
> LUCENE-1999 was an example of a horrible work-around where additional match information
that was required was smuggled through by bit-twiddling the score  - this is because score
is the only bit of match context we currently pass in Lucene APIs.