lucene-dev mailing list archives

From SUJIT PAL <sujit....@comcast.net>
Subject Re: switch jars to ivy mechanism?
Date Tue, 27 Mar 2012 20:37:51 GMT
No worries, was just a suggestion, the build requirements on Gora is much less involved and
works great with mvn (compared to ivy), which is why I suggested it. Didn't think about the
jflex dependency, would probably be impossible without custom plugins for mvn. I guess I will
just have to learn to work with ivy then :-).

I like Uwe's idea of a target that will download and copy all the jars to the lib dir btw,
that way there is no necessity for configuring the IDE to work with the .ivy cache.

For Eclipse, I observed that paths relative to a path represented by a variable (for example
${project.home}/foo/bar) declared in the ivy configuration file was not recognized within
Eclipse but worked fine from the command line. I ended up replacing these paths in my local
copy with hardcoded absolute path names for my computer to get Eclipse to compile my project.
 Of course, this may not be an ivy problem, just my ignorance of ivy features.

-sujit

On Mar 27, 2012, at 1:09 PM, Robert Muir wrote:

> Maven doesnt support all of our build features (e.g. jflex generation,
> and a number of other things). On the other hand our ant build is
> stable and supports all of our current needs.
>
> All of our tests dont even pass with maven (though I know steven works
> really hard at trying to make them all work, but still:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/dev/nightly/hudson-lucene-solr-maven-trunk.sh).
>
> So maven isn't really an option: it would be significantly more work.
> On the other hand, ivy is something we can plug into our existing
> working build system, its just another way of populating the
> classpath.
>
> On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 4:03 PM, SUJIT PAL <sujit.pal@comcast.net> wrote:
>> Just a suggestion... why not use mvn instead? Based on personal experience trying
to get ivy working with NutchGora and gora, I think it is much more intuitive to use mvn.