lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Harwood <markharw...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: Proposal - a high performance Key-Value store based on Lucene APIs/concepts
Date Thu, 22 Mar 2012 18:29:19 GMT

> Mark, can you share more on what K-V (NoSQL) stores have you've been benchmarking and
what have been the results?

Mongo, Cassandra, Krati, Bdb a Java version of BitCask, Lucene, MySQL

I was interested in benchmarking the single-server stores rather than a distributed setup
because your choice of store could be plugged into the likes of Voldemort for scale out.

The design is similar to the Bitcask paper but keeps only hashes of keys in ram not the full
key.

My implementation was the only store that didn't degrade noticeably as you get into 10s of
millions of keys in the store.

> Did you try all the well known ones?
> http://kkovacs.eu/cassandra-vs-mongodb-vs-couchdb-vs-redis
>
> -- J
>
> On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 10:42 AM, mark harwood <markharw00d@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> I've been spending quite a bit of time recently benchmarking various Key-Value stores
for a demanding project and been largely disappointed with results
> However, I have developed a promising implementation based on these concepts:  http://www.slideshare.net/MarkHarwood/lucene-kvstore
>
> The code needs some packaging before I can release it but the slide deck should give
a good overview of the design.

> Is this something that it is likely to be of interest as a contrib module here?
> I appreciate this is a departure from the regular search focus but it builds on some
common ground in Lucene core and may have some applications here.