lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Miller <markrmil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Exposing Solr routing to SolrJ client
Date Mon, 12 Mar 2012 21:39:07 GMT

On Mar 12, 2012, at 5:32 PM, Yonik Seeley wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 8:15 AM, Mark Miller <markrmiller@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Currently it doesn't send directly to the leader, but this is planned - it's a little
tricky due to lack of access to the Schema for hashing

> Hmmm, why is this?  Identification of the "uniqueKey" field?  Maybe we
> just assume "id", or let the user configure it if it's something
> different.  That should really be "best practice" along with sticking
> to normal java identifiers for field names.

Yeah, for id my plan was just let the user supply the field, perhaps default to id. The other
issue is that we hash on the indexed value though - which we get though a customizable field
type method impl last I recall. I think this tends to be the same as the raw text for the
types we care about. But we have to make some assumptions - it's not really arbitrary support
- though it should easily cover the current common types of numeric or string. I think most
impls end up using UnicodeUtil.UTF16toUTF8 and hopefully most toInternal methods simply return
what is passed in (ie use the base class impl)...

  /** Given an indexed term, append the human readable representation*/
  public CharsRef indexedToReadable(BytesRef input, CharsRef output) {
    UnicodeUtil.UTF8toUTF16(input, output);
    return output;
  }

  public String toInternal(String val) {
    // - used in delete when a Term needs to be created.
    // - used by the default getTokenizer() and createField()
    return val;
  }

> -Yonik
> lucenerevolution.com - Lucene/Solr Open Source Search Conference.
> Boston May 7-10

- Mark Miller
lucidimagination.com

UnicodeUtil.UTF16toUTF8(