lucene-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Steven A Rowe <sar...@syr.edu>
Subject RE: switch jars to ivy mechanism?
Date Tue, 27 Mar 2012 20:33:03 GMT
Robert,

I disagree with you: I think Maven really is an option.  However, I do agree that it would
be significantly more work, and I recognize that lots of devs here loathe Maven, so I will
not tilt against this particular windmill.

On the technical arguments, though: a) there *is* a JFlex maven plugin; and b) if you follow
the link you gave to the Jenkins Maven trunk build script, you'll see that the one test which
was being ignored is no longer ignored -- that chunk of the shell script is commmented out
-- Maven currently runs all tests and passes them just as often as the Ant builds.  (BasicDistributedZkTest
is now an unhappy camper no matter which camp it's in these days.)

Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Muir [mailto:rcmuir@gmail.com] 
Sent: Tuesday, March 27, 2012 4:09 PM
To: dev@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: switch jars to ivy mechanism?

Maven doesnt support all of our build features (e.g. jflex generation, and a number of other
things). On the other hand our ant build is stable and supports all of our current needs.

All of our tests dont even pass with maven (though I know steven works really hard at trying
to make them all work, but still:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/dev/nightly/hudson-lucene-solr-maven-trunk.sh).

So maven isn't really an option: it would be significantly more work.
On the other hand, ivy is something we can plug into our existing working build system, its
just another way of populating the classpath.

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 4:03 PM, SUJIT PAL <sujit.pal@comcast.net> wrote:
> Just a suggestion... why not use mvn instead? Based on personal experience trying to
get ivy working with NutchGora and gora, I think it is much more intuitive to use mvn.
>
> -sujit
>
> On Mar 27, 2012, at 12:28 PM, Robert Muir wrote:
>
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> There is currently a thread about jars going on another list, this 
>> isn't about that.
>>
>> But just reading over the thread and thinking about things, our svn 
>> checkout is quite large because of checked in jars. I don't think 
>> this is good for developers in Europe or Japan or elsewhere, because 
>> it makes the checkout huge.
>>
>> On the other hand I look at the example ivy file from the tutorial
>> (http://ant.apache.org/ivy/history/latest-milestone/samples/build.xml
>> ) and it looks pretty nice. I know there is an eclipse plugin that 
>> works with this as well.
>>
>> I was thinking about experimenting with our build to remove these 
>> jars (at least: as many as possible) and see how ivy worked, purely 
>> as an optimization. It seems like maybe it really wouldnt be such a 
>> huge change... maybe something that could be done in a day or 
>> something like that.
>>
>> Does anyone have any opinions on this?
>>
>> --
>> lucidimagination.com
>>
>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@lucene.apache.org For 
>> additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@lucene.apache.org
>>
>
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@lucene.apache.org For 
> additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@lucene.apache.org
>



--
lucidimagination.com

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@lucene.apache.org For additional commands, e-mail:
dev-help@lucene.apache.org

Mime
View raw message