lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Steven A Rowe <sar...@syr.edu>
Subject RE: [NOTICE] Phasing out maven repos on people.apache.org
Date Mon, 26 Mar 2012 22:54:06 GMT
FYI: Notes on progress uploading Lucene/Solr Maven release artifacts to the Apache Nexus staging
repository:

This weekend I successfully staged a fake lucene release using 'ant generate-maven-artifacts',
along with the appropriate ~/.m2/settings.xml <server> entry with my credentials, and
the -Dm2.repository.id and -Dm2.repository.url cmdline arguments. However, since 'generate-maven-artifacts'
doesn't sign any of the artifacts, the Apache Nexus repository refused to "close" the staging
repository because there were no signatures.  As a result, we don't have a way to publish
Maven release artifacts right now.

I investigated using the Nexus "Artifact Bundle" upload capability, which accepts a jar containing
a single module's POM and binary jar, with optional source and javadoc jars, and optional
signatures for each, and then creates an automatically "closed" staging repository.  Since
Lucene/Solr has dozens of these modules, and since the Nexus interface only accepts one Artifact
Bundle at a time, this mechanism would require a prohibitive amount of time to manual upload
each bundle, even if creation of the bundles were automated.

So I tested various forms of packaging multiple modules' artifacts&signatures in a single
bundle, to see if Nexus would handle them (the short version: Nexus declined to do so):

1)      Simply jar'ing the dist/maven/ contents after running 'ant generate-maven-artifacts'
- this failed, first because Nexus didn't like the maven-metadata.xml files, and finally,
after removing them, because although it *succeeded* in unpacking and recognizing all artifacts
& signatures, Nexus placed everything under a bogus groupId representing the first directory
it encounted when unpacking the bundle -- something like org/apache/lucene/lucene-analyzers/3.6.0/org/apache/lucene/lucene-*.

2)      Jar'ing all POMs, artifacts&signatures in a flat layout with no directories -
this failed because Nexus claimed it couldn't find any artifacts.

3)      Jar'ing one level deep directories, with each module's artifacts&signatures in
its own self-named directory - this failed, again because Nexus claimed it couldn't find any
artifacts.

I can think of two alternatives to enable publishing Maven release artifacts through the Apache
Nexus repository:

1)      Write a new Ant build target to stage the contents of dist/maven/ (package/maven/
for Solr), after running the 'ant generate-maven-artifact' and 'ant sign-artifacts'.

2)      Write a new Ant build target, based on Maven Ant Tasks's ability to run 'mvn gpg:sign-and-deploy'
from Ant, to sign the artifacts and stage everything directly to the Apache Nexus repository.

#1 is the least disruptive to the current release process, in that release votes would continue
to be over the Maven artifacts in the directory structure pointed to by the RC URL.

#2 is the method recommended by the Sonatype-produced Maven documentation <https://docs.sonatype.org/display/Repository/Sonatype+OSS+Maven+Repository+Usage+Guide#SonatypeOSSMavenRepositoryUsageGuide-7c.DeploySnapshotsandStageReleaseswithAnt>
and <https://docs.sonatype.org/display/Repository/Deploy+Snapshots+and+Stage+Releases+with+Ant>,
and is used by a few other Apache projects.

Unless I hear otherwise, I'll assume that #1 is the better route for Lucene/Solr, at this
juncture anyway.

Steve