lucene-dev mailing list archives

From mark harwood <markharw...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: GSOC 2012?
Date Fri, 02 Mar 2012 11:26:41 GMT
>>Does anyone have any ideas?

A framework for match metadata?

Similar to the way tokenization was changed to allow tokenizers to to enrich a stream of tokens
with arbitrary "attributes", Scorers could provide "MatchAttributes" to provide arbitrary
metadata about the stream of matches they produce.
Same model is used - callers decide in advance which attribute decorations they want to consume
and Scorers modify a singleton object which can be cloned if multiple attributes need to be
retained by the caller.

Helps support highlighting, explain and enables communication of added information between
query objects in the tree.
LUCENE-1999 was an example of a horrible work-around where additional match information that
was required was smuggled through by bit-twiddling the score  - this is because score is
the only bit of match context we currently pass in Lucene APIs.

Cheers
Mark

________________________________
From: Robert Muir <rcmuir@gmail.com>
To: dev@lucene.apache.org
Sent: Friday, 2 March 2012, 10:30
Subject: GSOC 2012?

Hello,

I was asked by a student if we are participating in GSOC this year. I
hope the answer is yes?

If we are planning to, I think it would be good if we came up with a
list on the wiki of potential tasks. Does anyone have any ideas?

One suggested idea I had (similar to LUCENE-2959 last year) would be
to add a flexible query expansion framework.

--
lucidimagination.com