lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Muir <rcm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Deprecated methods on trunk
Date Wed, 15 Feb 2012 11:33:20 GMT
Hi Shai,

I think in some cases its good for us to add deprecated APIs to trunk
rather than completely breaking users.

We can look at these as 'migration paths' for the user...

Here is a good example of one i specifically requested (Mike
implemented, thanks!):

In 4.0 we totally changed the Document/Field API (FieldType etc), but
rather than forcing ALL users to change ALL their code and learn the
new API, i think its very helpful if, at least for a while, we support
something that looks like the "old" api with Field.STORE, etc, etc.

For a huge amount of apps, this might help them
experiment/test/migrate to Lucene 4.0 without being frustrated.

In general I think if we can add transition mechanisms like this to
make it easier for people to cut over, we should.... are there reasons
we should not do this?

--
lucidimagination.com