lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Muir <rcm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [important] Refactoring of tests infrastructure.
Date Sat, 18 Feb 2012 15:22:44 GMT
On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 12:56 PM, Dawid Weiss
<dawid.weiss@cs.put.poznan.pl> wrote:

> There is a lot of code I already pruned from LuceneTestCase as part of

+1: this thing is out of control and not really maintainable from just
adding this test-feature and that... And currently nobody 'tests the
tester' so we don't know if all that crazy code even really works.

> this issue. Incidentally I also discovered a lot of places where the
> random field proliferates to where it shouldn't be used. These are:

Yeah: this is part of why there is a lot of hairiness: we keep track
of these different seeds and set one random to the right values. Its
easy on the test cases, but it definitely makes the base test class
really hairy.

> and I would like to commit it in as soon as I can so that I don't have
> to merge in changes from the trunk's tests all the time :) However,
> this patch also modifies certain things everyone has probably gotten
> used to:

Personally I say 'go for it'. My only concern is that test failures
reproduce, but this is likely just paranoia from the existing
code...I'm guessing you have this under control.

> b) the filtering patterns will change. no more -Dtestpackage,
> -Dtestpackageroot, etc. The filtering is based on globs now (both at
> method and at class level).

Can we keep -Dtestcase? I see the -Dtests.filter=".*Foo" but is it
possible we can just add -Dtestcase=X as a 'macro' to
-Dtests.filter=".*X" ?

--
lucidimagination.com