lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Muir <rcm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: why is MTQ#getEnum protected
Date Wed, 15 Feb 2012 10:55:35 GMT
On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 5:18 AM, Simon Willnauer
<simon.willnauer@googlemail.com> wrote:
> hey guys, I am working on different rewrite methods etc. and the fact
> that getEnum is protected drives me nuts. I always have to put stuff
> into the o.a.l.search package if I want to access this method and even
> further this only works if I am loaded by the same classloader so if
> somebody wants to write a super smart RewriteMethod and they are
> running in a tomcat etc. they could get in big trouble. Can we make
> this public?

Wait:  lets rephrase the question 'why should it be public?'

whats the big trouble with tomcat? I've used tomcat with code that
uses package-private methods before, it works fine. Do you have a test
case where it fails?
If so, that seems like a tomcat bug.

I think this is pretty expert... whats wrong with package private
access for serious-expert stuff?
Sneaky bugs can happen in MTQ by making something visible/non-final:
stuff like LUCENE-3238... I think we should be careful.

--
lucidimagination.com