lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan McKinley <>
Subject FieldCache future?
Date Thu, 23 Feb 2012 18:32:23 GMT
In LUCENE-3360, there is discussion that DocValues could be used to
replace the existing FieldCache.  This seems like is a great
direction, but I am not sure how people see this getting implemented.

Is the suggestion to add something like:
  DocValues fieldCache(String field);
to AtomicReader?

or maybe:
  DocValues fieldCache(String field, Parser parser, boolean setDocsWithField)

In both cases, I assume the Reader would cache the results in an internal Map.

When thinking about the FieldCache future, the key things I hope we
can support are:
1. multi-valued fields
2. user defined Parser.  (the BytesRef can represent some arbitrary object)

In particular, I am trying to find a better solution then a
WeakHashMap for something like:

Is this the general direction you guys see?

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message