lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan McKinley <ryan...@gmail.com>
Subject FieldCache future?
Date Thu, 23 Feb 2012 18:32:23 GMT
In LUCENE-3360, there is discussion that DocValues could be used to
replace the existing FieldCache.  This seems like is a great
direction, but I am not sure how people see this getting implemented.

Is the suggestion to add something like:
  DocValues fieldCache(String field);
to AtomicReader?

or maybe:
  DocValues fieldCache(String field, Parser parser, boolean setDocsWithField)

In both cases, I assume the Reader would cache the results in an internal Map.

When thinking about the FieldCache future, the key things I hope we
can support are:
1. multi-valued fields
2. user defined Parser.  (the BytesRef can represent some arbitrary object)

In particular, I am trying to find a better solution then a
WeakHashMap for something like:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/dev/branches/lucene3795_lsp_spatial_module/modules/spatial/strategy/src/java/org/apache/lucene/spatial/strategy/util/ShapeFieldCacheProvider.java

Is this the general direction you guys see?

ryan