lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com>
Subject Re: Reorg the website a bit.
Date Sat, 18 Feb 2012 14:17:54 GMT
On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 9:13 PM, Mark Miller <markrmiller@gmail.com> wrote:
> The news as the front page for the lucene / solr pages seems a little less than ideal
as our initial impression to new viewers.

> I think we should try and put something more compelling.

+1

Another visual issue (IMO) is that our current tutorial seems pretty
squished due to the right hand column taking up a lot of space.
http://lucene.apache.org/solr/tutorial.html

A quick measure shows that the content is only getting about 59% of
the width of the page (on my monitor w/ chrome at least).

I assume maybe it needs to take up a lot of space because of the
Latest SVN,  Latest JIRA, Latest Dev, Latest Solr User, #solr
sections?

Ignoring the fact that those sections don't even work on the tutorial
page, I'm not sure they should be on the front page either.
They look kind of visually messy, with much of the content overflowing
into the gray area.
Those things could be confined to the news page perhaps...

Another minor improvement would be to make the link text stand out
more (brighter blue).  On my monitor, the tutorial links are pretty
hard to pick out.

-Yonik
lucidimagination.com