lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com>
Subject Re: Changing our Wiki software?
Date Fri, 17 Feb 2012 17:04:34 GMT
On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 3:48 PM, Grant Ingersoll <gsingers@apache.org> wrote:
> I could see that we move "official docs" to the CMS and leave the wiki for
> new things, etc. and for user generated recipes, etc.

OK, so how about this for Solr documentation on the website:
pseudo-versioned live docs.

The docs for 4x live under
solr/4 or solr/doc/4

These docs wouldn't be strictly versioned... we would continue
updating the docs as needed after a release.
We also would not need to bump the version number for every minor
release... we can do as we do on the wiki now and note that a new
feature was added in 4.1 for example (but we can drop everything that
only applies to 3x and below).  I think this can result in some of the
highest quality documentation with the least amount of effort.

A different question is whether these docs should be included in a
release.  IMO that's not needed (and creates extra maintenance work in
our build scripts, puts extra burden on release managers, etc).

-Yonik
lucidimagination.com