lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Changing our Wiki software?
Date Fri, 10 Feb 2012 12:39:43 GMT

On Feb 9, 2012, at 3:57 PM, Yonik Seeley wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 3:48 PM, Grant Ingersoll <gsingers@apache.org> wrote:
>> I could see that we move "official docs" to the CMS and leave the wiki for
>> new things, etc. and for user generated recipes, etc.
>
> Why wouldn't these be orthogonal decisions (assuming confluence can
> support permissions):
> a) what CMS/Wiki to use (ASF or confluence)
> b) who should be able to change what

Sure.  I was mainly getting at that I think it would be nice if we promoted docs as "official"
and they were on the main site.

> I haven't used the ASF CMS yet, so I don't know how it stacks up
> compared to confluence.

My main issue w/ Confluence for docs is the ASF insists on using the Auto Export plugin b/c
they don't want people hitting the main wiki for some reason (performance, I guess).  But
the AutoExport thingy is buggy, doesn't look as nice and infra has also indicated they don't
want people using that anymore either, at least that is what I seem to recall.

See the diff between:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAHOUT/Mahout+Wiki

https://cwiki.apache.org/MAHOUT/mahout-wiki.html

The first one is the proper confluence site w/ Look and Feel we added.  The second is the
auto-export and it is what you get when you search on Google, etc.

See https://cwiki.apache.org/CWIKI/
"The first rule of CWIKI is don't link to CWIKI! This Confluence site is autoexported to HTML.
Please link only to the exported pages. Do not link directly to the wiki! The autoexport includes
live links to allow easy editing of pages. By linking to the autoexport, we can scale the
site for everyone's benefit."