lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Steven A Rowe <sar...@syr.edu>
Subject RE: check-legal-lucene invoked repeatedly?
Date Fri, 10 Feb 2012 18:28:54 GMT
Ideally the license checking java code would be a checked-in jar containing an ant task, so
that it wouldn't need to be compiled on every build.  I don't want to tackle that right now
though.

In https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-3267 Chris Male removed checking of contrib/queries/lib/
from check-legal-lucene's list of lib dirs, which apparently was otherwise not maintained
at all, so that now only lucene/lib/ is ever checked.  There two other existing lucene lib/
dirs are under the sandbox contrib and the demo contrib.

Solr, by contrast, has a more up-to-date list of directories to check, but it too suffers
from module drift: contrib/langid/lib/ is missing, and dataimporthandler-extras/lib/ doesn't
exist (anymore).

modules/ on trunk has no license checking coverage at all.

Per-module invocation, which I was considering, is problematic for Solr, since the example,
which isn't exactly a module, has three separate lib/ directories.

My current thinking is that the license checking code should be invoked once per module, and
that each module can have a set of lib/ directories associated with it.  By default, that
set would consist only of the lib/ directory associated with the module, but solr/core/ and
lucene/core/ would specialize the set: lucene/core/ would include lucene/lib/, and solr/core/
would include solr/lib/ and also all the example/**/lib/ dirs.

Steve