lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Miller <markrmil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: lucene-solr pull request: Fixing typo in example schema: 'salves' => 'slaves'
Date Mon, 20 Feb 2012 16:26:28 GMT
It's all part of an ongoing discussion about Git and GitHub at Apache. I don't know what the
official ruling is on this stuff.

Fixing a typo - sure, just fix it.

Larger patches contributed this way? It's a little up in the air I think. But like I said
- Apache seems to find that check box pretty important.

Practically, I think it's up to each committer to vet the code they are committing.

On Feb 20, 2012, at 11:21 AM, David Smiley (@MITRE.org) wrote:

> Ok, that's disappointing.  So much for ASF projects being part of the social coding revolution.
 It's a big deal, by the way.  When people ask me what it's all about, I point them to this
blob post by the Springframework team: http://blog.springsource.com/2010/12/21/social-coding-in-spring-projects/
> I suspect you are enlightened Mark but others reading our conversation might not be.
>
> So this guy's patch, the one I replied to, is a typo amounting to two characters.  Are
there ASF guidelines on size of contributions?  Wether guidelines exist or not, IANAL but
I believe there are practical considerations on the size of patches to not concern yourself
with copyright.  I've seen estimates before ranging from 20-100 lines of code.

> ~ David
>
> On Feb 20, 2012, at 11:07 AM, Mark Miller-3 [via Lucene] wrote:
>
>> I think the problem is around the ASF's thoughts on what it means to contribute a
patch in JIRA and click the check box about donating. They seem to find that important, and
you don't have the same mechanism when grabbing pull requests from github.

>> On Feb 20, 2012, at 10:56 AM, David Smiley (@MITRE.org) wrote:
>>
>> > Cool; pull-requests via GitHub.  Has anyone reacted to one of these messages

>> > and applied the change before?  If so what was the process?  Since
>> > lucene-solr is a mirror, is it impossible?
>> >
>> > ~ David
>> >
>> > -----
>> > Author: http://www.packtpub.com/apache-solr-3-enterprise-search-server/book
>> > --
target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external"> [hidden email]
>> > For additional commands, e-mail: <a href="x-msg://101/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=3761133&amp;i=1"
target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external"> [hidden email]

>> - Mark Miller
>> lucidimagination.com

target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external"> [hidden email]
>> For additional commands, e-mail: <a href="x-msg://101/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=3761133&amp;i=3"
target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external"> [hidden email]

>> http://lucene.472066.n3.nabble.com/lucene-solr-pull-request-Fixing-typo-in-example-schema-salves-slaves-tp3760050p3761133.html
>> To unsubscribe from lucene-solr pull request: Fixing typo in example schema: 'salves'
=> 'slaves', click here.
>> NAML
>
>  Author: http://www.packtpub.com/apache-solr-3-enterprise-search-server/book

'salves' => 'slaves'