lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodne...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] New Website
Date Wed, 01 Feb 2012 06:00:23 GMT
+1 to new site (though... and maybe this is due to me using an outdated T42 ThinkPad now, the
top part of the page feels very bulky, but maybe people are OK with that)

+1 to everything Jan wrote - he read my mind....transatlantic.

Otis

>________________________________

Hey, it's the home page of the world's best search engine, search should be prominent - so
why not make the search box muuuch wider and add AutoComplete.

>See below :-)  Have at it.  Most of the search site stuff is in the templates directory.
>
>* Why is the search automatically constrained to the "Lucene-Core" project, even when
searching from /solr/? If I am at Solr home page and search "tutorial", the first hit should
be the Solr tutorial, not the Lucene one.

>That's probably a copy paste error or a templating error.
>

>>--
>>Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
>>Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com
>>Solr Training - www.solrtraining.com
>>
>>On 31. jan. 2012, at 20:38, Grant Ingersoll wrote:
>>
>>As many of you know, I've been doing a slow burn on switching us over to the new ASF
CMS.  I'm finally at a point where I think we are ready, for the most part, so I'd like to
propose we make the leap and switch.  I finally had time to figure out a workaround for INFRA-3850
and have released the logjam caused by that blocker in terms of the L&F of the site.

>>>You can see the new site at http://lucene.staging.apache.org/.  I've ported
almost all of the existing sites and done a lot to make it look better in terms of getting
the CSS right, etc.

>>>The new site is almost dead simple to edit:
>>>

>>>1. svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/cms/trunk cms/trunk
>>>2. svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/websites/cms/build if you wish to
build and test locally
>>>a. http://www.apache.org/dev/cmsref.html#local-build for details on building
locally.  If you are on a mac, you may need some perl dependencies installed.
>>>b. cd asf-cms
>>>c. ./build_site.pl --target-base=<path to output on local HTTPd server, I
use ~/Sites> --source=../trunk/
>>>3.  Edit the files in cms/trunk/content and cms/trunk/templates as you see fit.
 When you are satisfied, svn commit.
>>>4. Browse to the staging site to see them live.
>>>5. TBD: publish to the main site.  I'll figure that out when switching and post.
>>>

>>>Markdown Reference: http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/syntax
>>>CMS Reference:  http://www.apache.org/dev/cmsref.html and http://www.apache.org/dev/cms.html
>>>

>>>(This info is available on the site at: http://lucene.staging.apache.org/site-instructions.html)
>>>

>>>The whole process is 1000x easier than Forrest.  You can even edit via the web
using a WYSWIG editor if you so desire.

>>>Now, here's the kicker, I'd like to switch to the new sites over this weekend
or early next week at the latest and then iterate from there.  I don't have a solution for
the Core versioned docs yet, but those can be figured out later.  Presumably we can convert
them to markdown at some point before the next release and just maintain pointers to the old
versions.

>>>So, I'd suggest everyone give it a pass through, fix items as they see them and/or
otherwise pitch in and help, because I'm tired of our current site and how poor it makes us
look.