lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Short/Byte in NumericField/NumericTokenStream ?
Date Fri, 02 Dec 2011 01:02:15 GMT

I never really noticed until today that NumericField and
NumericTokenStream don't support Short or Byte. (even though things like
FieldCache do).

I'm wondering if there is a particular reason why they were *not* to
included, or is it just that with numeric values in that small of a range,
there isn't a lot of advantage to using multiple precision steps so it was
never implemented?

It seems like there may be some valuable use cases where "Short" or "Byte"
based NumericFields would be just as useful as an "Integer" and could save
quite a bit of space if your index is really large (ie: numeric popularity
field where values are always between 1-100, etc...)

-Hoss