lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Muir <rcm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: getting incremental output from our tests
Date Fri, 02 Dec 2011 14:23:16 GMT
On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 9:07 AM, Yonik Seeley <yonik@lucidimagination.com> wrote:
> Right now, all test output is buffered.  If a test dies or hangs, you
> get no output.
> If your test is too long or goes into an infinite loop, it causes an
> OOM from all the buffering.
>
> In the past, I could just change the formatter from "xml" to "plain"
> to get rid of the buffering, but this no longer works.
> I think this is because Lucene now does it's own buffering to keep
> output from multiple tests straight?

no, its because ant does this buffering in its formatters. its not
anything we do.

> So how can one enable incremental non-buffered-till-end-of-test output
> these days?

you never could: see the interface of JUnitResultFormatter:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ant/core/trunk/src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/taskdefs/optional/junit/JUnitResultFormatter.java

    /**
     * This is what the test has written to System.out
     * @param out the string to write.
     */
    void setSystemOutput(String out);

    /**
     * This is what the test has written to System.err
     * @param err the string to write.
     */
    void setSystemError(String err);

--