lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Erick Erickson <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject My role
Date Sat, 17 Dec 2011 19:46:11 GMT
I've been wondering what to do with this committer status thing. When
one has reached "my age", the prospect of understanding a code base as
complex and one that has been worked on by such awesome people is
daunting. To quote Robert Heinlein ("Time Enough for Love", one of the
chapters titled "The Notebooks of Lazarus Long") "It's amazing how
much mature wisdom resembles being too tired". I've never been able to
figure out whether "how much" means "the degree to which" or "the
quantity of". I suppose they're both applicable.

Anyway, one of the things that's bothered me a bit is the patches
people submit that languish. Believe me, I understand that most of the
people who are actively involved as committers are doing some really
great and fundamental improvements to Lucene/Solr and I'm in awe of
their efforts; it's not like other committers have lots of time to
spare and are just lazy.

But it occurred to me that there's a role for someone to shepherd
patches submitted by people who are *not* committers through the
process. Or close them as "interesting but not something we should
add". So, the long and short of it is that I'm volunteering for that
role. I expect to lean heavily on the othes to give
thumbs-up/thumbs-down here. Don't get me wrong, I'll look over the
patches too, but don't be surprised by comments on JIRAs like "what do
y'all think? Kill or commit?".

I have a day job too, so this won't happen all at once. But I've been
amazed by how much gets accomplished by steady effort. Besides, it's
winter in Michigan. So anybody who has favorite JIRAs that they think
are particularly worthwhile, please let me know and I'll at least put
them on my list.

Let me know your thoughts
Erick