lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com>
Subject Re: Javascript function queries: opinions!
Date Tue, 15 Nov 2011 04:32:32 GMT
On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 8:50 PM, Emmanuel Espina
<espinaemmanuel@gmail.com> wrote:
> Regarding the performance, I've tested it with the standard engine (Rhino)
> and, of course, it completely sucks.

Yeah... the problem is most likely that even the fastest JVM scripting
languages are tuned to be fast at executing a single script, not
entering/exiting the scripting engine 1M times for a single query.
Even if V8 is fast by traditional measures, I bet it would still be
slow used in this way.

Way back in '04 I tested a bunch of scripting languages for ad-hoc
queries (i.e. parsing speed would be important too).  Again, most
weren't optimized for super fast parsing speed and Rino was the only
one that would have been practical (groovy, jython, etc, had horribly
slow parsing).

-Yonik
http://www.lucidimagination.com