lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Uwe Schindler" <...@thetaphi.de>
Subject RE: IndexWriter.infoStream is final?
Date Sat, 26 Nov 2011 09:24:12 GMT
You can still torn on/off logging. In Lucene trunk info stream is just an
abstract interface, the cool thing is that you can implement this interface
on your own (and by that enable/disable logging):

public abstract class InfoStream {

  public abstract void message(String component, String message);

}

I use the new interface to pass it through to log4j or whatever as debug
message.

I already discussed with Robert about that, that there is one thing missing.
Currently the IW only checks if the infoStream!=null and then passes the
message to the method, and that *may* ignore it. For your requirement it is
the case that this is enabled or disabled dynamically. Unfortunately if the
construction of the message is heavy, then this wastes resources.

I would like to add another method to this class: abstract boolean
isMessageEnabled() that can also be implemented. I would then replace all
null checks in IW by this method. The default config in IW would be changed
to use a DoNothingInfoStream() that returns false here and ignores the
message.

A simple logger wrapper for e.g. log4j / slf4j then could look like:

Loger log = YourLoggingFramework.getLogger(IndexWriter.class);

public void message(String component, String message) {

     log.debug(component + ": " + message);

}

public Boolean isMessageEnabled() {

return log.isDebugEnabled();

}

Using this you could enable/disable logging live by e.g. the log4j
management console of your app server by enabling/disabling
IndexWriter.class logging.

Maybe we should open a new issue about this, I just had no time to do that.

Uwe

-----

Uwe Schindler

H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen