lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Poulton, Gareth | Gareth | DU" <>
Subject RE: Field update (SOLR139, SOLR828)
Date Wed, 05 Oct 2011 01:20:23 GMT
The part I'm having difficulty understanding is (and I'm new to Lucene so please be gentle):
why do we need to reindex other fields of the document?
If I update field A, is there any theoretical reason why we need to rebuild (or even *look*
at) the indexes built on fields B or C? Are they in some way inextricably tied to index A
at too fundamental a level to be able to leave them alone?

-----Original Message-----
From: Ryan McKinley []
Sent: Monday, September 26, 2011 11:45 PM
Subject: Re: Field update (SOLR139, SOLR828)

The crux of the problem is that updating a field in lucene requires we reindex the *entire*
document, not just the single field.

The approach in SOLR-139 assumes you have stored all fields, and loads them then reindexes.
 After working with this for a while, it is clear that this kind of approach is better tackled
on the client side -- where you have better knowledge how the fields may be stored, or could
read them from solr if you want.

That said...  there has been some great new work on a different field type that will potentially
be updateable without reindexing the whole document.
(i'm actually not sure what it is called anymore)

2011/9/26 Poulton, Gareth | Gareth | DU <>:
> Hi,
> I’d like to do bulk updating on a single field, i.e. provide a field
> name once and then a long list of document ids and values to update
> only that field and leaving the others intact. I noticed SOLR139 / 828.
> If I’m reading this correctly it looks as though it was abandoned
> three years ago; was this because the authors lost interest, or
> because some fundamental flaw was discovered in the approach, or
> something else? Is it currently in a usable state? Is it worth my
> while trying to make it work or would I be better off doing something
> from scratch? Any advice would be much appreciated.
> Thanks,
> Gareth Poulton | ポルトン ガレフ
> 楽天・開発部・次世代サーチグループ

To unsubscribe, e-mail: For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message