lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Erick Erickson <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Escaping special character -
Date Wed, 19 Oct 2011 19:48:36 GMT
Not really. The time it takes to parse a query is
usually such a small fraction of the time it takes to
execute the search that it's almost completely
unimportant.

But using the API to build your query is less prone to
silly programming errors (i.e. typos in the string etc), and
it gives you far greater flexibility to use some of the
more esoteric Lucene features. Consider the entire
Span family of queries for instance....

This rather assumes you're NOT taking Lucene-syntax
style input from the users. There're few good reasons (and
lots of bad reasons) to parse user's input in order to use
the API, starting with the fact that you'd be re-implementing
the parser! Unless your UI doesn't allow complexity..

Best
Erick