lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Erick Erickson <>
Subject Re: Heap space
Date Thu, 27 Oct 2011 11:01:50 GMT

An alternative is just to use the Idea Junit integration to run
specific tests that you *know* you are exercising for your code,
including any new tests you write. Then run "ant test" from the
command line when you're satisfied that the specific tests are
running. Of course you can run "ant test" from the command line as
often as you want during your development, but you need to run the
entire suite before you can consider a patch to be complete.

The IDE integration with Junit is quite good, but it adds another
layer and I believe that some of the setup/teardown is a bit different
than when running from the command line.

I'd recommend against spending much time trying to work out the quirks
of running the entire test suite from the IDE, I've generally been
pretty happy with the process I outlined above, but it's up to you of

On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 3:36 AM, Simon Willnauer
<> wrote:
> hey roberto,
> welcome to lucene! :)
> On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 9:10 AM,
> <> wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I'm a Master student in Switzerland and I'm new to Lucene.
>> In one of my courses I was asked to choose one large open source software, find a
bug on the issue tracker and manage to fix it.
>> I already have some discussion with Mr. Rowe that helped me in categorizing the issues.
I really appreciated that.
>> I checked out the code, run the 'ant clean test' and the build was successful.
>> I ran the 'ant idea' and imported the project to IntelliJ Idea 10.5.
>> While running the test suites 3 test cases failed:
>> - testLexicon
>> - testMinimizeHuge
>> - testIntOverflow
>> The error is a java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space.
> ant will give the tests 512MB heapspace and some of the tests go near
> this during execution. Yet, your IDE might not provide enough
> heapspace so you should try to figure out how to give junit more
> heapspace when running. The reason why those test didn't fail when you
> run them in isolation might be due to our randomized testing. We
> select a lot of things at random which gives you basically a different
> setup for each run.
>> However running those test cases alone do not raise the issue.
>> I''m new to Idea and I was wondering if someone can either help me in solving this
issue or help me out in the Eclipse configuration.
> when you run ant eclipse what do you mean by not as clean? can yo
> gimme more details? Sorry I can not help with IDEA :)
> simon
>> I tried the 'ant eclipse' but the project generated is not as clean as the one for
Idea. I dunno if I did something badly.