lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Andrzej Bialecki>
Subject Re: IndexFileFormat documentation / specification
Date Tue, 04 Oct 2011 07:17:42 GMT
On 04/10/2011 08:16, Simon Willnauer wrote:
> hey folks,
> with lucene 4 we got tons of new file formats which are different from
> what we have in our fire format specification. This is going to be
> worse once we add more codecs like PFOR etc. However updating the docs
> manually is going to be very error prone so I wonder if somebody has
> any idea how we can automate this or maybe generate this from the
> sources somehow. Any ideas?

At least the list of file names that a codec uses can be generated
easily... perhaps we could turn these names into enums and add
annotations about their function? I added this manually in Luke some
time ago, and that mapping from name to function is already getting stale.

Still, detailed docs about per-file formats are needed, and I don't see
other way than the venerable javadoc, and a discipline to fill in the
javadocs for all codecs. Perhaps we could use separate html files with
docs per file and tie them somehow via annotations so that they can be
processed by a doclet.

Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki     <><
___|||__||  \|  ||  |  Embedded Unix, System Integration  Contact: info at sigram dot com

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message