lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Rutherglen <jason.rutherg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Separate issue for appendable field caches / doc values
Date Tue, 23 Aug 2011 04:09:49 GMT
> But, we are trying to move FC under IR control (Martijn has a patch),
> at which point an RT IR could have its own appending impl...?

LUCENE-3360?  It's placing the field cache into IR / SR.  The RAM
reader could return it's own impl where the underlying array can be
atomically replaced (when a larger sized array is needed).  I agree
that is logical.

> But then... FC still returns fixed arrays so you can't append until we fix that?

I don't think anything should depend on the size of the field cache
array.  If it does, it seems odd.  Are you preferring moving field
cache access to method calls?  What is the difference between that and
primitive array access?

For now I will create an independent field cache implementation that
is appendable.  It will only be associate-able with the DWPT / RAM
reader.  Maybe somehow it can work with LUCENE-3360 and / or the
existing static FC access system.

Still not sure how doc values fits in.