lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <>
Subject Re: revisit naming for grouping/join?
Date Wed, 06 Jul 2011 12:47:53 GMT
On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 5:44 PM, Mike Sokolov <> wrote:
>> : Maybe modules/nested? modules/nesteddocs?
>>        modules/subdocs
>>        modules/nesteddocs
>>        modules/nested
>> None of them scream "this is the perfect name" to me, but none of them
>> scream "dear lord this is a terrible idea" either.
>> Instinct says "All other factors being equal, pick the shortest name"
>> : Hmm... sub feels like it undersells, ie emphasizes "under" or
>> : "inferior to" and de-emphasizes the strong cooperation w/ the parent.
> How about modules/superdoc?
> It wouldn't undersell, at least :)

I agree it's no longer under selling :)

But I like this even less than sub!  First, I think it has the same
problems that sub has since it's just symmetric: it's too un-equal, ie
implies one side is "superior" and "above" the other side, when in
fact joining (XML search, product SKUs, nested docs, etc.) are really
symmetric.  The nested parts of the doc are just as valid a part of
the document as the non-nested part.

Second, I don't like the "super-ness" of super (ie, in the sense of
supercalifragilisticexpialidocious or superman or superwoman) -- it's
too generic, ie, like "best" or "awesome".

Mike McCandless

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message