lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Drop Java 5 support for trunk (Lucene 4.0)
Date Mon, 27 Jun 2011 22:50:41 GMT

+1

: Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 19:38:08 +0200
: From: Simon Willnauer <simon.willnauer@googlemail.com>
: To: dev@lucene.apache.org
: Subject: [VOTE] Drop Java 5 support for trunk (Lucene 4.0)
:
: This issue has been discussed on various occasions and lately on
: LUCENE-3239 (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-3239)
:
: The main reasons for this have been discussed on the issue but let me
: put them out here too:
:
: - Lack of testing on Jenkins with Java 5
: - Java 5 end of lifetime is reached a long time ago so Java 5 is
: totally unmaintained which means for us that bugs have to either be
: hacked around, tests disabled, warnings placed, but some things simply
: cannot be fixed... we cannot actually "support" something that is no
: longer maintained: we do find JRE bugs
: (http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/SunJavaBugs) and its important
: that bugs actually get fixed: cannot do everything with hacks.\
: - due to Java 5 we legitimate performance hits like 20% slower grouping speed.
:
: For reference please read through the issue mentioned above.
:
: A lot of the committers seem to be on the same page here to drop Java
: 5 support so I am calling out an official vote.
:
: all Lucene 3.x releases will remain with Java 5 support this vote is
: for trunk only.
:
:
: Here is my +1