lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject solr example != solr defaults
Date Thu, 09 Jun 2011 19:47:12 GMT

Trying to catch up on my email/jira, i notice this comment from rmuir in
SOLR-2519...

>> I think we need to stop kidding ourselves about example/default and
>> just recognize that 99.99999999999% of users just use the example as
>> their default configuration. Guys, the example is the default, there is
>> simply not argument, this is the reality!

While i agree that we should recognize and expect solr users to start with
the example configs and use them as their "default configs" under no
circumstances should we get in the habit of refering to things specified
in those configs "the default behavior" or "the default settings"

this isn't a question of kidding ourselves, it's a question of genuinely
confusing users about the differnece between behavior that exists because
of what is in the example configs that they may have copied and behavior
that exists because of hardcoded defaults in java code.

Example #1: for backwards compatability, the "default" lockType used in
solr when no <lockType/> declaration is found is "simple" but the
*example* <lockType/> declared in the *example* configs is "native".

Example #2: Many request handler instances are declared/configured in the
"example" solrconfig.xml file, but only 1 request handler instance will
exist by *default* if the user removes those <requestHandler/>
declarations from the solrconfig.xml

The point is: If you find yourself getting into the habit of refering to
config values/settings in the example configs as "the defaults" then you
*will* misslead users into thinking that you are describing the "default
behavior" when those values/settings are absent from the configs.

-Hoss