lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Muir <rcm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Lucene 3.3 release soon?
Date Tue, 21 Jun 2011 18:16:27 GMT
And here are the reasons why I think we should release often:

1) As far as corporations worried about stability, if they are really
that worried, they should take a look at our stable branch and how
development is done around here, and these concerned corporations
should also take a look at how testing is done on this project. But in
any case, I could care less what corporations think.

2) The way I see it, we started releasing more often about a month
ago, and we also got a bunch of new committers (5, 6, 7? what is it
exactly?) in the last month too. We have a shitload of guys committing
a shitload of good stuff, and we want even more committers to get more
momentum.  Releasing is an important part of encouraging contributors
so that they see what they do actually getting out there.

3) When I look at http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/ReleaseNote33 and
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/ReleaseNote33, which only release major
features, not bugfixes or anything (see CHANGES.txt for that!), it
looks solid to me. These are major search features that users want,
some of them (e.g. autocomplete and grouping stuff) have been baking
in trunk for quite some time.

4) Finally, we won't make all users or even committers happy with any
given release. Thats why releases only need 3 +1 votes. That being
said, I'm talking about spinning up an RC soon, right before I go on
vacation. Sure we slipped the last one past hossman, but for this one,
its entirely possible he comes back with 87 problems in the release.
Big deal, worst case the RC fails, and if I'm stuck sitting by the
beach fixing everything he finds and making Lucene/Solr better - well,
life could be a lot worse.