lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Dawid Weiss <>
Subject Re: Memory consumption in trunk for sorting and faceting
Date Sun, 12 Jun 2011 13:51:40 GMT
> Is it fair to say that the two big innovations that have reduced the
> memory footprint are:
> 1> going to byte arrays for string storage
> 2> the FST work?
> Final question. It looks like the FST work is back-ported to the
> current 3_x code branch, is that true? Anything else back-ported
> there? I'll check that branch out and give it a whirl for kicks.

I'm guessing it's going from Strings to ByteRefs (objects have
considerable overhead, really). This used to be my favorite showcase
for students -- manipulate a large array of Integer[] vs. manipulate
the same size array of int[]. A similar think applies to String
instances vs. ByteRefs (utf16 vs. utf8 encoding, object header
overhead, etc).

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message