lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Dawid Weiss <dawid.we...@cs.put.poznan.pl>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1141510 - /lucene/dev/trunk/modules/facet/src/java/org/apache/lucene/util/UnsafeByteArrayOutputStream.java
Date Thu, 30 Jun 2011 19:09:39 GMT
> I think it's important Lucene keeps good performance on "ordinary"
> machines/envs.

Not that this voice will help in anything, but I think the above is
virtually impossible to achieve unless you have a bunch of machines,
OSs and VMs to continually test on and a consistent set of benchmarks
plotted over time... and of course check every single commit for
regression over all these combinations. And even then you'd always
find a case of something being faster or slower on some combination of
hardware/ software; optimizing for these differences makes little
sense to me (people struggling with performance on some weird
software/hardware combination can always change the VM vendor or a VM
switch).

Sorry for being so pessimistically unconstructive... :(

Dawid