lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Re: External strings sort and case folding.
Date Tue, 14 Jun 2011 10:55:18 GMT
Not that I know of.

And, if you create & index such Lucene documents, and then do a
MatchAllDocsQuery sorting by your field, this is (unfortunately) not
an external sort!  Ie, Lucene loads all terms data in RAM as packed
byte[], for merging the per-segment results.

It even does this, unnecessarily, for an optimized segment, even
though we only need ords in that case (there's an issue open for
this).

Doing a sort-by-String-field without loading the String data even when
there are multiple segments in the index would be a nice addition :)

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com