lucene-dev mailing list archives

From johnmu...@aol.com
Subject Re: Lucene 3.3 release soon?
Date Tue, 21 Jun 2011 18:01:19 GMT

My bad, I meant to say a “6-8 releases a year” .. grrr!!

So let me try this again. I don't like the current plan of "release early & often" because:

1) It will spread testing thin of any release because fewer real users will be using a release
when you have too many a year.

2) "release early & often" is not a well defined production release. It will lead to undefined
gaps between releases (why X.Y took N weeks, but X.Z took M months?). This is why I suggested
a quarterly release plan (it's what FF is now doing)

3) Do companies jump on a Lucene release as soon as one is made?  No, they have a process.
 With too many releasees, they will now be more confused which releases to use; they want
a release that proved itself.

--MJ

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Miller <markrmiller@gmail.com>
To: dev@lucene.apache.org
Cc: simon.willnauer@gmail.com
Sent: Tue, Jun 21, 2011 1:32 pm
Subject: Re: Lucene 3.3 release soon?

I think we might target fewer than 6-8 a month. That would be scary! I would
uess it will be once a month at worse, and often less. Time will tell.
You must already give version info with questions if you want decent help -
othing is going to change that.
- Mark

n Jun 21, 2011, at 1:15 PM, johnmunir@aol.com wrote:
> -1 on release early & often.

 Let us say you average 6-8 releases a month, this means there will be that
any versions used by users.  Which means the amount of testing done on a
elease (by real users, in real environment) will be spread thin thus a release
ill not get the same amount of testing it otherwise would.  Not only that, more
eleases means more release specific questions.  Expect to see questions /
ssues reported and you must ask "what version are you using?" before you can
nswer.

 May I suggest a scheduled release, once a quarter, near the end of a quarter?

 -JM