lucene-dev mailing list archives

From DM Smith <dmsmith...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Lucene 3.3 release soon?
Date Tue, 21 Jun 2011 18:33:29 GMT
On 06/21/2011 02:01 PM, johnmunir@aol.com wrote:

> My bad, I meant to say a “6-8 releases a year” .. grrr!!
> So let me try this again. I don't like the current plan of "release
> early & often" because:
> 1) It will spread testing thin of any release because fewer real users
> will be using a release when you have too many a year.
I don't follow. With a release early and often rational, there will be
less changes in each release. Less to test. The testing of lucene is
phenomenal and improving with each release.

> 2) "release early & often" is not a well defined production release.
> It will lead to undefined gaps between releases (why X.Y took N weeks,
> but X.Z took M months?). This is why I suggested a quarterly release
> plan (it's what FF is now doing)
I think that the pendulum needs to swing and find its natural balance.
If there is a cost to frequent releases that is unacceptable, it will
all balance out in the end.
> 3) Do companies jump on a Lucene release as soon as one is made?  No,
> they have a process.  With too many releasees, they will now be more
> confused which releases to use; they want a release that proved itself.
I can't comment on how all companies do upgrades, but in my experience
the companies I've been with don't upgrade without a business reason.
Basically, if the current works then don't upgrade. If the new provides
a necessary feature for a specific requirement, then determine the
risk/cost/benefit and decide on whether to upgrade. But at the point of
upgrade go with the current best. I don't see how there would be
confusion until 4.0 is released.

In my specific application, upgrades to Lucene happen when my
application has a feature release and/or a bug release in it's use of
Lucene. It just doesn't make sense to have an app release that does not
give specific, visible benefit to end users.