lucene-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Mitsu Hadeishi (JIRA)" <j...@apache.org>
Subject [jira] [Commented] (SOLR-2462) Using spellcheck.collate can result in extremely high memory usage
Date Wed, 29 Jun 2011 21:38:28 GMT

    [ https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-2462?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel&focusedCommentId=13057483#comment-13057483
] 

Mitsu Hadeishi commented on SOLR-2462:
--------------------------------------

We just ran into this bug when we upgraded to 3.2, and suddenly SOLR was blowing up as soon
as we built the spellcheck dictionary. I attempted to apply the patch to the 3.2 source code
tgz file downloadable from http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/lucene/solr, but it didn't
apply cleanly. I manually applied the patch, as we're using the released version of 3.2.

> Using spellcheck.collate can result in extremely high memory usage
> ------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>                 Key: SOLR-2462
>                 URL: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-2462
>             Project: Solr
>          Issue Type: Bug
>          Components: spellchecker
>    Affects Versions: 3.1
>            Reporter: James Dyer
>            Assignee: Robert Muir
>            Priority: Critical
>             Fix For: 3.3, 4.0
>
>         Attachments: SOLR-2462.patch, SOLR-2462.patch, SOLR-2462.patch, SOLR-2462.patch,
SOLR-2462.patch, SOLR-2462.patch, SOLR-2462.patch, SOLR-2462.patch, SOLR-2462.patch, SOLR-2462_3_1.patch
>
>
> When using "spellcheck.collate", class SpellPossibilityIterator creates a ranked list
of *every* possible correction combination.  But if returning several corrections per term,
and if several words are misspelled, the existing algorithm uses a huge amount of memory.
> This bug was introduced with SOLR-2010.  However, it is triggered anytime "spellcheck.collate"
is used.  It is not necessary to use any features that were added with SOLR-2010.
> We were in Production with Solr for 1 1/2 days and this bug started taking our Solr servers
down with "infinite" GC loops.  It was pretty easy for this to happen as occasionally a user
will accidently paste the URL into the Search box on our app.  This URL results in a search
with ~12 misspelled words.  We have "spellcheck.count" set to 15. 

--
This message is automatically generated by JIRA.
For more information on JIRA, see: http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira

        

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@lucene.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@lucene.apache.org


Mime
View raw message