lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: 3.2.0 (or 3.1.1)
Date Mon, 16 May 2011 23:38:28 GMT

: And also, we should adopt that approach going forward (no more bug fix
: releases for the stable branch, except for the last release before 4.0
: is out). That means updating the release TODO with e.g., not creating
: a branch for 3.2.x, only tag it. When 4.0 is out, we branch 3.x.y out
: of the last 3.x tag.

I don't know that we need box ourselves in ... if someone discovers a
massively critical bug the day after 3.2 is released, it's totally
reasonable/sensible to do a quick 3.2.1 release.

That said: i don't know that we have to create the 3.2.x branch when we
create the 3.2 tag ... we can certainly do a lazy instantiation as needed.

Bottom line: 3.x.0 releases are still "feature releases on the stable api
branch", and as long as we can maintain intertia on relatively rapid turn
arround of feature release then great -- but that doens't mean we should
completley rule out having 3.x.y "bug fix" releases.

-Hoss