lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: Improvements to the maven build
Date Fri, 06 May 2011 18:54:45 GMT

: Even "small" things?! It would be a royal pain in the ass to submit an
: issue for every last stupid typo, reformat, and minor thing.  I would

a rough rule of thumb: "if you can describe the problem in fewer bytes
then the patch would take, don't bother with a jira issue"

if someone says in an email "hey i noticed a typo in these javadocs [URL]"
or "hey i think there's an off by one error in Yak.fooBar() because of "<"
instead of "<=" you don't need to tell them "thanks for pointing that out,
but i can't change that until you create a patch and attach it to jira"

if someone creates a patch and sends it in an email (or attaches a
new/modified source file) you should usually ask them to attach it to
jira.

the main differentiator (as i understand it) is not not "size" of
contribution, but "significance" ... something that's an obvious
bug/mistake/typo once someone points you to a line number can just be
fixed.  you (the committer) are writing the code to fix a bug pointed out
by a contributor -- but when a contributor submits a "significant" chunk
of code/functionality, we need Jira to track that they "Grant license to ASF
for inclusion in ASF works (as per the Apache License ยง5)"

-Hoss