lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Muir <>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 3.2.0
Date Sun, 29 May 2011 06:51:45 GMT
On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 2:14 AM, David Smiley (
<> wrote:
> Releasing too fast / too infrequent aside, I think a X.X release should have
> a notable feature (or a huge performance improvement), and 3.2 doesn't
> without result grouping, IMO. It's got plumbing and bug fixes.

This is not true, it just doesn't have your pet feature, which isn't
any blocker for release. I don't see the issue marked as release

3.2 has:

* A new default merge policy that doesn't inadvertently optimize
* An index upgrade tool to allow users to upgrade indexes to the latest version
* Numeric fields finally "give you back" a NumericField
* A grouping module for lucene users
* A new NRTCachingDirectory
* Optimizations to highlighting performance

besides important bug fixes for the attributes API, stack overflows in
phrasequery, term dictionaries with more than 2 billion terms, and
other things.

This is a valuable set of changes for users and this is a volunteer
project, if we are volunteering to do the work to push out a 3.2
release, why does this bother you? the stuff you want can easily be in
3.3 in the same timeframe... how does it hurt that there is a 3.2 in

Anyway, its all about three +1 votes, which I think we can muster
here, though there are a few technical problems and we will likely
need a respin, but thanks to the infra improvements dealing with
licensing and javadocs warnings and things like that, respinning is
only a matter of hours instead of a massive effort.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message