lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Willnauer <simon.willna...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 3.2.0
Date Sun, 29 May 2011 07:27:31 GMT
Hi David,

On Sat, May 28, 2011 at 11:14 PM, David Smiley (@MITRE.org)
<DSMILEY@mitre.org> wrote:
> You're right; it shouldn't be shoved in at the last second -- I didn't mean
> to imply that. It should be committed and then we'll give it a comfortable
> amount of time.  When that time is up, and if v3.2 waits for it, then 3.2
> will probably be at about the 3-month mark since the last release -- in my
> view (and Grant's) the ideal suite-spot for a release window.
>
> Releasing too fast / too infrequent aside, I think a X.X release should have
> a notable feature (or a huge performance improvement), and 3.2 doesn't
> without result grouping, IMO. It's got plumbing and bug fixes.

I can understand you point of view but I can't recall any release
without at least one person within the same situation.
We promised to spinn more frequent releases and we are trying to make
our best effort to do so. In order to eventually succeed with what we
have planned we need to make a start and get it going. Once we got the
release process running frequently and in predictable intervals folks
don't need to be in the situation you are in right now anymore. If
feature X somebody needs to have can not be in a certain release
because its pretty new and needs some time to bake its not going to be
a problem anymore since it will be in the next one which is reasonably
close. Let me tell you I have tons of features I would love to have in
4.0 but some of them might not make it for various reasons.
Yet, to get there it needs to be kicked off and I am super happy that
mike is doing it. We are changing lots of things here in the process
and we are expecting to step on peoples foot once in a while but look
at the amount of users this project has, you will always step on
somebody's foot, right?
As Robert pointed out this release has a couple of improvements and we
the lucene PMC agreed on the fact that a release doesn't need to have
large features. We simply don't want to let folks wait for years
anymore.

I appreciate that you state your opinion on the grouping feature but
to be honest this has been developed within a couple of weeks with
great progress and lots of passion but I think its not ready to be
released and therefore it should not block it.

simon