lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Re: shared doc stores and IW.addIndexes
Date Mon, 23 May 2011 18:46:16 GMT
On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 2:11 PM, Shai Erera <serera@gmail.com> wrote:
>> It would be nice if addIndexes "fixed" this for you... but I think not
>> necessary?
>
> I agree. If the code can handle old segments w/ shared doc stores, there's
> no reason to introduce another complexity to addIndexes. It should be an
> optimized method. The shared doc stores will go away when segments are
> merged.

Right.

> Do we plan to support this forever, or should we mark this feature and code
> handling for removal when 4.0 (or likely 5.0, since 3.0 still write shared
> doc stores) is out?

Well, this is not a user level "feature" -- this is a low level impl
detail of how the index works?

Ie, I think this is just the standard back-compat policy for indexes:
4.0 can handle 3.x indices that share doc stores, but 5.0 will not.
Ie, a 3.x index must be fully re-written in 4.0 for 5.0 to handle it.

Mike

http://blog.mikemccandless.com