lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Dawid Weiss <dawid.we...@cs.put.poznan.pl>
Subject Re: FST and FieldCache?
Date Thu, 19 May 2011 06:31:12 GMT
Hi David,

> but with less memory.  As I understand it, FSTs are a highly compressed
> representation of a set of Strings (among other possibilities).  The

Yep. Not only, but this is one of the use cases. Will you be at Lucene
Revolution next week? I'll be talking about it there.

> representation of a set of Strings (among other possibilities).  The
> fieldCache would need to point to an FST entry (an "arc"?) using something
> small, say an integer.  Is there a way to point to an FST entry with an
> integer, and then somehow with relative efficiency construct the String from
> the arcs to get there?

Correct me if my understanding is wrong: you'd like to assign a unique
integer to each String and then retrieve it by this integer (something
like a
Map<Integer, String>)? This would be something called perfect hashing
and this can be done on top of an automaton (fairly easily). I assume
the data structure is immutable once constructed and does not change
too often, right?

Dawid