lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Re: modularization discussion
Date Wed, 04 May 2011 12:25:40 GMT
Mark,

Can you give some more details on your disagreement here...?

Are there certain modules from my list that you don't think should be
modules?  The timeframe (1-2 years) is too optimistic/aggressive?  Or
you disagree that we should poach from outside projects too...?

Or, more generally, you don't think Solr benefits from being opened up
/ modularized?

Mike

http://blog.mikemccandless.com

On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 1:11 PM, Mark Miller <markrmiller@gmail.com> wrote:

> On May 3, 2011, at 12:49 PM, Michael McCandless wrote:
>
>> Isn't this the future we are working towards?
>
> No, not really. Others perhaps, but not me. I'm on board with some modules. I do think
there are tradeoffs when considering them and considering Lucene and Solr. I'm happy to take
everything one issue at a time.

> When I voted to merge, no, I certainly was not thinking, I hope in a year or two we have
taken everything from Solr and made it a module. I did it for a few specific things to start
- analyzers for sure, perhaps some other things as people did something that made sense. I
did it so we could share some code more easily - not all code.